Thursday, March 27, 2014

Financial Uncertainty

This past week has been a difficult week, not so much physical, but more from a psychological perspective.  As a man, you always want to make sure you do your job as it concerns your family.  Since my diagnosis, I have had serious consternation about the long-term financial picture.  I have always despised thinking about adult stuff like wills, long term disability, trusts and life insurance.  Remember, in my mind, I am still 25 and just suffering from early male pattern baldness.  After several months of not wanting to deal with it, Staci and I spent the morning preparing for the meeting with the financial planner.  Truth be told, I broke down and cried looking at all of the end of life documents.  It's one thing when it is a suppositional future event but when it is a concrete reality, words and dates take on entirely different meanings.  We got through my breakdown and showed up at the financial planner.  We spent 4 hours and got through it all.  Without getting into the details, we walked out of there feeling very, very good.  We are lucky in the sense that we found a great team of financial planners a couple of years ago who have gone above and beyond.  They are creative but more importantly, truly care and are great people.  True to form, when we completed our work, we convinced them to go downstairs for a late lunch and cocktails.  In the final analysis, I walked out of the meeting feeling that I have done my job as a man and that the family will be fine! 

Video of the day:  https://vimeo.com/90276652

I don't want this to be a commercial for anyone but if you want the info on our financial planner reach out to me or Staci. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment